Yemen conflict: Over 115 children killed in month

At least 115 children have been killed and 172 maimed in a month of fighting and air strikes in Yemen, the UN children’s agency Unicef says. About half were killed by coalition bombing, the agency said, and others by mines, gunshots, and shelling. Houthi rebels and allied forces have been fighting forces allied to the government for several months. The UN said on Friday that at least 551 civilians had been killed in the conflict – more than half the overall estimated death toll. “There are hundreds of thousands of children in Yemen who continue to live in the most dangerous circumstances,” Julien Harneis, Unicef’s Yemen representative, said. “The number of child casualties shows clearly how devastating this conflict continues to be for the country’s children,” he added. A Unicef spokesman in Geneva said the agency believed its figure of 115 was a conservative estimate. The UN estimates that more than 150,000 people have been displaced by the violence in Yemen. The Saudi-led bombing campaign is targeting Yemen’s Houthi rebels, who have captured swathes of the country, and their allies. It declared an end to the aerial phase of its campaign on Tuesday, but has continued to launch air strikes since. Source:...

24 Killed in Growing Yemen Crisis

Yemen: Fierce fighting rages in S Yemen as humanitarian crisis grows   Hundreds of Shiite Houthi gunmen with support of army units were battling tribal militia loyal to Yemen’s President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi on Wednesday in the country’s southern provinces, leaving dozens of people killed and wounded on both sides, according to military sources.   Fierce battles started on Wednesday morning in the southern port city of Aden, where the pro-Hadi militiamen were covered by the Saudi-led airstrikes. The two sides have been battling to take over the control of the city since late March.   “There were fierce fighting between Houthi-led forces and Hadi’s tribal militia on the road leading to the Aden’s International Airport. About 13 Houthis and eight tribal gunmen were killed during Wednesday’s fighting,” a military official told Xinhua on condition of anonymity. The military source said that street battles also took place in the Cirater and Mu’alla districts in Aden where the main port of the city, naval bases, government institutions, public markets and Hadi’s presidential palace are located.   In al-Dhalea province, located about 125 km away from Aden city, violent fighting continued and mortar shells landed on three houses, causing heavy material loses and casualties among civilians, according to local residents.   In the southern province of Taiz, about 24 people including civilians and army soldiers have been killed in violent street battles between the 35th Armored Brigade allied with Hadi and other pro-Houthi forces on Wednesday, according to an official at the Taiz Medical Center.   The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said in a statement on Wednesday that...

Islamic Relief to Distribute Food to 200 Families Daily

Islamic Relief Ready to Fight humanitarian disaster in Yemen Islamic Relief has launched an emergency appeal aiming to reach 700,000 people in the worst affected areas with food, water and sanitation, trauma and first aid kits. “In the next couple of days fuel is set to run out, which will mean that people won’t be able to access food and water in the worst-affected areas and thousands of injured people are in dire need of medical equipment and treatment,” says Mohamed Salah Eldin, Country Director for Islamic Relief in Yemen. “We urgently need to act before we have an acute humanitarian disaster on our hands.” He added: “There is a massive need for medical supplies and clean water in Aden and our contacts on the ground are telling us there are huge queues of people everywhere desperate for water.” Food distributions began on April 9 in Sana’a and will continue into six other governorates. Every day, 200 families will receive flour, rice, sugar, beans, noodles, peas and cooking oil which normally last between two weeks and a month. Islamic Relief has been working in Yemen since 2004 and are working through offices run by local staff in Sa’dah, Hajja, Amran, Sana’a, Ma’rib and Dhamar. Our Officer in Charge for Islamic Relief based in Sana’a explains: “In the first phase of the programme, we will provide emergency aid with medical supplies, food and water and then we’ll move into a more long-term recovery response. The huge numbers of displaced people means that this crisis will only get worse. And we have to be in it for the long haul.” To...

Yemen major beneficiary of Saudi development aid

The Kingdom extended financial aid of more than $3 billion during the last five years to Yemen. In addition, the Kingdom’s financial allocations exceeded 93 percent of its pledges toward that country. According to a statement released by the Saudi Fund for Development (SFD), the Kingdom has been a regular financier to help complete national projects in Yemen. The SFD is the most prominent supporter for development in Yemen, offering a number of loans and supervising a number of grants in several sectors, notably health, education, roads and water. These development projects benefited all Yemeni governments, either directly or indirectly. Saudi Arabia was always keen on extending support and aid to the brotherly Yemeni people, stemming from the historical links between the people of the two countries and aiming to achieve stability and peace in the country which is closely linked to achieving peace and stability at the regional and international levels. The SDF has also provided Yemen with a number of loans in various fields for a total of SR2.1 billion to fund some 24 development projects in the roads, health, education, vocational and technical training sectors; many of these development projects have already been implemented except for eight projects which are still under implementation. According to a statement released on Monday, SFD adopted financing lines and direct operations to finance national exports at a total cost of SR1.2 billion, of which about SR1 billion was to benefit Yemen’s public sector institutions, notably water and electricity. It was explained that about SR261 million was allocated for the benefit of Yemen’s private sector institutions (banks’ financing lines and direct...

55 killed in two suicide bombings in Yemen mosques

Two suicide bombers attacked two mosques in Yemen’s capital Sanaa during Friday prayers, killing at least 55 people and wounding dozens of others. The bombers detonated explosives at the two mosques controlled by the Shia Houthi group, the official said on condition of anonymity, adding that most of the dead were supporters of the Houthi group. The first attack hit the congregation at Badr mosque in southeastern Sanaa, killing 35 people, while the second bombing occurred at Hashoush mosque in the northeastern area of the city, killing at least 20 others, he said. The Shia Houthi group took control of Sanaa last September and met strong resistance in the central and southern regions from powerful Sunni tribes. On Thursday, tribal militia fought against security forces supported by the Houthi group in the southern port city of Aden, the second biggest city in the country, killing at least 15 people. This is the second bombing attack in Sanaa this year after an Al Qaeda car bombing attack against the police academy killed at least 50 cadets on January 7 In further development in fight against terrorism at least 20 Shiite Houthi fighters were killed and dozens of others wounded in Saudi-led airstrikes on a military base in Yemen’s northern province of Amran, military officials and medics said. “Saudi-led warplanes pounded 310th armored camp for over seven times during morning and afternoon, bombing weapons shipping containers and tanks, during which many Houthi fighters were killed,” a retired military officer who lives next to the camp told Xinhua by phone on condition of anonymity. He said the airstrikes also hit Houthi camps...