Two missing Tunisian journalists killed by IS

The internationally recognised Libyan government said on Thursday that two Tunisian journalists, who have been missing since September, were killed by their abductors. Hatem Laribi, spokesperson for Libya’s interim government, said the two journalists, Chourabi and Ktari, were killed by operatives affiliated with the Islamic State (IS) militant group. “During their interrogation, an IS member known as Daech admitted the assassination,” said the spokesman, adding that “they admitted burying the two journalists in the northeastern city of Dernah.” Previously, the Libyan government said that five IS members were arrested, including two Libyans and three Egyptians, who admitted the assassination of two Tunisians and other five journalists from the Libyan TV channel Barga TV. Tunisian authorities have assigned a high-level delegation, led by the Tunisian general counsel in Tripoli, to the city of Bayda to verify the interrogation, according to the Tunisian foreign ministry. The ministry emphasised that the results announced by the Interim Libyan government were those of a preliminary interrogation of the terrorists who “pretended that they had killed the two Tunisian journalists.” A group of journalists and activists were planning to stage a protest on Friday to show solidarity with families of Chourabi and Ktari, and urge the Tunisian authorities to tell the truth....

Badly decomposed bodies of 400 men, women and children discovered in Nigerian town of Damasak in suspected Boko Haram massacre

The badly decomposed bodies of hundreds of men, women and children have been discovered in the north-eastern Nigerian town of Damasak, in a massacre government officials suspect was carried out by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram. The gruesome discovery comes weeks after military forces from Nigeria and Chad launched a successful operation to free the town from the clutches of extremist militants on 9 March. Troops found the bodies of least 70 at an apparent execution site under a bridge leading out of the town shortly after. Babagana Mustapha, a local government spokesman for Damasak, told CNN a provincial government committee was visiting the area to assess the damage caused by Boko Haram’s insurgency when the bodies were discovered. The group overran the town in November. “We found hundreds of dead bodies in shallow graves and on the streets of Damasak during our visit,” he said. Mr Mustapha said the badly decomposed bodies were buried in 20 clearly marked mass graves, adding that local residents involved in the exhumations estimated the number of dead at more than 400. Kaumi Kusur, a local who helped bury bodies, told AFP the dead were found in houses, dumped on streets and in the Damasak River. In March, Damasak residents claimed over 400 women and children were abducted by the group and taken by militants after its recapture from Boko Haram. This was denied by Borno State officials on 27 March, who said in a statement “there is no fresh abduction in Damasak”.  ...

Suspected Boko Haram Gunmen Kill 21 in Yobe

  Director of Defence Information, Maj Gen Chris Olukolade DHQ warns of fabricated stories by terrorists’ sympathisers Senator Iroegbu in Abuja and Michael Olugbode in Maiduguri with agency report Suspected Boko Haram gunmen shot dead 21 people in Yobe State who were trying to return home to recover abandoned food supplies, a local official and a victim’s relative said on Monday. “The men, 21 of them, were stopped at Bultaram village by gunmen we believe are Boko Haram members who shot them dead,” said Baba Nuhu, an official with the Gujba Local Government Area in the state. According to AFP, Nuhu and Haruna Maram, the brother of one of the victims, spoke to newsmen from Yobe’s capital Damaturu, where many Gujba residents have fled to seek refuge from Boko Haram violence. “My brother and 20 others wanted to bring back their grains to augment their lean food supplies to feed their families,” Maram said. “Unfortunately, they were killed by (the) same Boko Haram we ran away from.” Gujba is one of a handful of districts in Yobe that Boko Haram captured during a sweeping offensive last year. The area has been hit by waves of attacks through the six-year Islamist uprising, including a massacre at an agricultural college in 2013 that targeted students sleeping in their dormitories. The military has claimed a series of successes against Boko Haram in an operation launched in February with neighbouring Chad, Cameroun and Niger. Scores of towns previously under rebel control have reportedly been liberated. Nigeria’s military and outgoing President Goodluck Jonathan have encouraged those displaced by the uprising to return home, declaring...

15 Egyptian Soldiers Wounded in Gaza Attacks

Egypt’s Islamic State Branch Claims Deadly Sinai Attack   The Islamic State’s branch in Egypt has claimed responsibility for a wave of deadly attacks that killed 15 Egyptian soldiers and three civilians the previous day in volatile northern Sinai.   A statement posted Friday on a militant website associated with the group, known as “Sinai Province,” says its fighters attacked seven checkpoints, killing “dozens of soldiers” on a main road in the Sinai Peninsula leading to the border with Gaza Strip.   Egyptian authorities said 15 soldiers were killed and 19 were wounded in an attack on a checkpoint on Thursday south of the town of Sheikh Zuweyid. Three civilians died in near-simultaneous attacks elsewhere in Sinai, suggesting careful planning by the militants. The attacks were the latest in a series of large-scale assaults by the Sinai-based militant branch. However, Israel and Egypt have been enforcing tight access and trade restrictions since the Islamic militant group Hamas seized Gaza in 2007. Under the closure rules, the vast majority of Gaza residents cannot travel or export, though Israel permits imports of consumer goods to the territory.   Israel and Egypt say they need to maintain the closure because Hamas, shunned by much of the world as a terror group, poses a security threat. Israel has fought three wars with Hamas in the past six years, in part to try to halt Gaza rocket fire on Israeli towns The 2014 war was the most devastating for Gaza’s 1.8 million people, killing more than 2,200 Palestinians, a majority of them civilians, according to U.N. figures. Seventy-two people were killed on the Israeli side, including 66 soldiers. The...